Monday, February 20, 2012

Honey yogurt berry pops...healthy snacking for kids!

(photo from joylicious)

So, Peter and I were both doing so good on this "eating healthy" thing...that is, until Valentine's day threw us into a tail spin...followed by a two day stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Eating healthy there is like eating healthy at Denny's. It just doesn't happen. My exercise plan took a hiatus, and has been replaced with boxes of chocolates, banana cake, these awesome ginger molasses bake yourself cookies from Trader Joe's that my cousin turned me on to...oh, and birthday dinner for my brother tonight with cake and ice cream. What the heck? I was doing so good! How can all these little mini holidays and celebrations become little excuses to undo all the good stuff I have done? Tomorrow, people. That is the day I get back on track...and the kids? They have been with me on my one way trip to unhealthiness...enough already! So, I decided to start getting rid of all the junk around here this last week...(mostly by personally eating it.) My giant box of chocolates now looks like this.....




My kids love good food as much as I do, and I'm always thrilled when I find a recipe for something seemingly unhealthy, but that is actually super healthy. Make sense? Take these Honey yogurt berry pops. Found them on the joylicious.net, a great food blog. They were posted around fourth of July, but I think they apply to all months of the year. Even better? They have no sugar...naturally. My kids like them better than store bought popsicles, so I never have to say NO!

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups Plain greek yogurt ( I love FAGE, sold at Costco...eat it every morning w/ honey and almonds)
1 cup Honey
Fresh or frozen berried of your choice
Popsicle molds (can be purchased at IKEA, or seasonally at grocery stores)




Mix yogurt and honey. Fold in berries. Transfer to something with a spout, as it makes it easier when pouring. Fill to top of popsicle mold. Freeze.

p.s. I actually used a "honey" greek yogurt made by "The Greek Gods,"when I made these last...then left out the honey, saved me step, and they tasted great! You can use any left over yogurt and berry mix for smoothies...another healthy snack for the family! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment