Thursday, December 15, 2011

Salted caramel sauce...heaven in a jar!


With the economy the way it is, there has never been a better time to stretch your crafty wings, and DIY your holiday gifts. I was talking to my mom this morning, reminiscing about Christmas a couple of years ago...the house cleaners would show up and scrub my house from top to bottom, and the teachers gift baskets were filled with Starbucks cards and gourmet goodies. These days, I'm the one scrubbing the house, and everything in the teacher baskets was crafted by me or the kids. These are just the times...everyone is scrimping by, spending a little less, shopping locally to save on shipping, and coming up with their own gift ideas. But really, is that such a bad thing? (yes on the house cleaners.....I miss you...come back to me...:(....) but as I looked at the kids teacher gifts, they were wrapped by the kids, with little handmade ornaments tucked in, peppermint bark from our own kitchen, stacks of coasters made by the kids, $1 mugs from Walmart, (that's right...I went to Walmart...times they are a changin',) and my newest treasure...homemade salted caramel sauce...and I actually had a thought...which is rare because who has time to think these days...but isn't that exactly what is at the heart of Christmas? Giving that takes effort, and love, and thought...not just some random thing bought off the internet? There is no better time to whip something up with love in your kitchen, and salted caramel is all the rage. I have to say, I see why. I love this stuff in every form. Salted caramel cupcakes, salted caramel frappucinos, salted caramel cake...I opted to make just salted caramel sauce, as you can really use it for anything. Dip some apples into it, pour it over ice cream, add it to your coffee, or just eat it with a spoon. Salty and sweet is my favorite combination, and this sauce gets it just right! I made up my own recipe, based on a couple of others I had found, then I doubled it , and poured it into mini canning jars, and the kids helped make labels. So festive!



Salted Caramel Sauce

1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup butter
1/2 to 1 tsp course sea salt or fleur de sel

Pour water into a sauce pan, then pour sugar into the middle of the pan, DO NOT STIR. Let it simmer and cook for around 20 minutes or so, until sugar is completely dissolved, and the mixture starts to turn a little yellow. Add the cream, but watch out, it wants to bubble over quickly, so watch the heat. In another small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar. Stir into mixture and continue to cook for a few minutes until it gets a little thicker. Remove from heat. (mixture will thicken up as it cools.) Add sea salt to taste. I pour sauce into a big measuring cup so it's easier to pour into jars, which you should do while it's still pretty warm. Keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Heat in microwave or stove top before serving. As I said earlier, I doubled this recipe, and it made enough for about 5 plus small jelly jars. Enjoy, and Merry Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment