Sunday, November 27, 2011

Homemade peppermint bark, just like Williams-Sonoma!



I have vivid memories of helping my dad deliver plates of homemade cookies to all the neighbors on Christmas Eve. My mom was busy getting the house ready to host Christmas, and my dad would say, "come on Shayne," then give me explicit instructions on what do if some one's visit lasted more than five minutes. We would joke about using a "code word" or pretend I had to go to the bathroom, or the dog was sick, etc. But neither of us had it in us to actually pull out the code word, and we would be gone for a couple of hours. Part of me thinks this was my dad's way of getting him (and me, thanks dad) out of the fifty million other things my mom would have in store for us if we returned too early. Everyone in the neighborhood was always in a great mood, and we would laugh, and chat, and move on to the next house. It's weird how we inherit certain things from our parents, and our siblings inherit others. My sister acquired the love of volunteering at school, the PTA, and all things educational. My brother inherited my mom's work ethic, and I seem to have inherited the love of the holidays. I hand made each of my kids stockings, because that's what my mom did for us. I decorate the day after Thanksgiving. I bake all different holiday cookies...why? Because my mom always did, and her mom always did. I draw the line at home made butter balls, and shining silver, (although my mom comes down at does it for me :)) I also feel the need to deliver something to the neighbors at Christmas...or make my husband and kids do it while I get ready for Christmas. Cookies usually make the list, but a few years ago, I started making peppermint bark. I love the stuff, but realized it costs a crazy amount to buy, but is really easy and inexpensive to make. I have probably tried 5 different recipes over the years, and have settled on one that tastes the most like Williams and Sonoma (my fave bark). It is so good, I keep it in the fridge all holiday season, and long after. By lunchtime, I have usually consumed my weight in peppermint bark. It's addicting, I'm telling you. I have given out the recipe many times, as people seem to love it as much as I do. Make a batch a week, and my Christmas , you'll have enough for the teachers, neighbors, and yourself! I urge you to start your own holiday traditions. These are the things your kids will remember for years to come! Enjoy! Oh, and a little warning, do not, no matter how curious you are...do not, under any circumstances, taste the peppermint extract. You will end up with your mouth under the sink, and the mentholated burning may last for two days. It's minty. That's all I'm saying.

Awesome Peppermint Bark Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment