Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sweet Potato Souffle & Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce...


Thanksgiving is almost here, and after many years of trying recipes, there are a couple that remain absolute, all time favorites. Recipes so good you will make them year after year. This sweet potato souffle, is not technically a souffle, as it does not puff up in the oven. I actually got this recipe from my friend's husband...we were invited years ago to an early Thanksgiving at her house, and her husband made this dish, and literally every person at the table asked for the recipe. Now, my relatives ask me for the recipe, and ask that I bring it to Thanksgiving every year, (which is now usually at my house, so I don't have to bring it very far.) Here is the recipe, if you make it...you will thank me.

Sweet Potato Souffle

3 cups peeled and boiled yams
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

topping: 1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup melted butter

Strain the yams after boiling, and put in a mixing bowl. Add brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, milk, and melted butter. Mix until whipped and pour into casserole dish. For the topping, mix brown sugar, flour, pecans, and melted butter. Crumble over yams and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I know it's not lo-cal, but people...it's Thanksgiving! You're welcome!



The pumpkin bread pudding was a recipe I found off the internet a few years ago. I had tried at least 4 or 5 bread puddings, and was not thrilled with any of them. I wanted something pumpkiny, and caramely, and warm, and vanilla-ish (all made up words, I know,)...something super memorable. When I found this recipe, I tried it right away, and it was a keeper. My mom, sister, and I can put away a whole pan of this stuff, easy. If there is any left, it's gone for breakfast the next day. This, an apple pie, and a pumpkin cheesecake, and you are good to go this Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce

2 1/2 cups half and half
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
10 cups cubed egg bread (I find mine at Central Market, it's called Ultimate French toast bread)
1/2 cup golden raisins

caramel sauce:

1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Mix half and half, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and vanilla in a large bowl. fold in bread cubes. Mix in raisins. Transfer into casserole dish. Let stand 15 minutes, then bake at 350 degrees, until knife comes out clean. Meanwhile, prepare sauce. Whist dark brown sugar and butter over medium heat in a saucepan. After butter melts, stir in heavy cream. Stir until sugar dissolves. Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding, top with caramel sauce and whipping cream. Comfort food at it's best!

No comments:

Post a Comment