Friday, November 4, 2011

Simple things we can do to live more organically today...

When I had my first baby, I didn't think too much about the baby wash I used, and opted for a well known baby shampoo that smelled great and had been around for decades...all of the commercials and advertising I had seen throughout the years made my mind feel it was soothing, and comforting and a staple to have in my baby's bath time routine...that is...until I looked up the information on the skin deep database and found out it was a 9 out of 10 on the scale for harsh carcinogens, and included ingredients linked to cancer and allergies. Fabulous. I immediately threw the baby shampoo away and went out and bought the most organic baby soap I could find....one that registered a zero on the scale. In fact I threw away all of my products and replaced them with all natural zero's. I threw myself into decontaminating our bodies, one product at a time. After reading that the average person uses 15 or more cosmetic products a day, including shampoo, hair products, deodorant, cosmetics, lotion, etc. I did a complete overhaul. As time went by, my husband and I both started noticing the kids smelled like oatmeal, or tea tree oil, and didn't seem to be getting super clean. My hair looked flat, and my sea salt deodorant just made me feel, well, salty. Is this what living naturally was supposed to feel like? Maybe I wasn't such a nature girl after all...I was tempted to throw in the towel and revert back to my old products, but decided if we really use that many products a day, and at least half of them are dangerously high in carcinogens, what is that doing to our bodies over time? I decided to experiment to try and find products I like, that actually work. I started with the baby wash, and tried at least five or six products, before settling on good old Burt's Bee's baby wash. It smelled great, and the kids really seemed clean. I also love the Aveeno wash, and although they are a 2 on the scale, I feel that is a huge improvement. I moved on to facial products, shampoo and conditioner, and deodorant. Slowly, I have taken my family from mostly 7's, 8's and 9's, to mostly 0-3's, and I actually feel happy with the results. Between that, and switching my detergent to a great smelling eco friendly type (Ecos at Costco...love it!) and switching my cleaning products to environmentally friendly green products...see this post...and changing up their lunchbox gear...see this post...I feel like I have taken huge leaps and bounds in cleaning up our home and our lives, and downgrading the amount of toxins we are exposed to, therefore promoting a healthier future for my kids and the whole family...and you know what? It was not that daunting, or expensive. It was actually easy and maintainable! If you have not been to the skin deep database, I would recommend you go there...you can literally type in any product by name, and find out about the toxicity. Make a list of all the products your family uses, and check their rating...I bet you will be shocked, as I was! Replace products as they run out with less toxic products, and you will be well on your way to healthier living! The trick is, don't stress too hard. If you have a face cream you swear by, or love coloring your hair, who cares? Let that be the one thing you keep, as long as you are changing out other products, then you are lessening the overall toxins, don't go too crazy. Find your balance between being healthy and enjoying your life, and just take baby steps in the right direction, and before you know it, you will be healthier, one small change at a time.

Skin Deep Cosmetics database
holidays
A few healthier products that I love:



1) Burt's Bees baby wash and shampoo-smells like apricots and really cleans!

2)Alba Hawaiian products-love the gardenia shampoo and plumeria conditioner, green tea eye gel, coconut milk face wash, pineapple enzyme facial scrub, papaya enzyme facial mask, hibiscus toner, jasmine and vitamin E moisturizer, and lip balms. I also love their kukui nut body oil and sugar scrub. Awesome line.

3)Crystal antiperspirant-made of all natural mineral salt, really works if you don't miss the fresh smell of regular antiperspirant.

4) Aveeno baby was and shampoo-smells great, works great!

5) Pearatin serum by Loma- you will love this! Smooths, protects, repairs...my hairstylist says it literally restores hair to it's perfect condition. I agree!

6) Simplicity shampoo and Intensity conditioner-my hands down favorite natural shampoo...smells like a tropical rainforest and makes hair super soft and clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment