Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baked oatmeal...healthy, and your kids will love it!



I love baking, I think I have established that...the last couple of years my obsession has been real down home baking...using tons of Barefoot Contessa and Paula Deen recipes, with full on pounds of butter and full fat ingredients. I once saw this super health guru on Oprah that said, dessert is great, as long as you bake it yourself and stay away from the store bought, preservative laden desserts. I kind of took that and ran with it. Although it's still my favorite way to bake, I got to thinking...maybe the guy meant in moderation...hmmmm...ya think? I also have since watched Super Size Me, and Food Inc, and have picked up a new obsession...finding kid favorites and making them at home using healthy ingredients. Homemade granola bars, homemade mac and cheese, things I can sneak my own ingredients into, but that taste good, so my kids will ask for them. I also struggle with finding the time to make a big, healthy breakfast during the mad dash that happens to get out the door, and cereal or toast seem to be the only thing handy. I love breakfast I can make the night before, so the kids can help themselves, and I don't feel like "loser mom" for sending them out the door with a granola bar. My sister introduced this recipe to me quite a few years ago, and between my mom(the serious Martha Stewart of the family) my sister and I, someone is always baking this up. Every one of my kids love it...they eat it for breakfast and for snacks until it's gone. I make it on a Sunday night, so breakfast is already done for the next couple of days. It's also great cold, so you can pack it for lunch or a snack. You can add any fruit of your choice, although I have tried many, pears seem to be the best. I also love to add blueberries to pack in some antioxidants. I sprinkle flax seed on top before baking, and spoon vanilla yogurt over it right before serving. A great way to get fiber, fruit, omegas, and calcium into your kid's diet. Enjoy!

Baked Oatmeal

2 1/2 cups rolled pats (use old fashioned, not quick oats)
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup steel cut oats
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 egg beaten
1/3 applesauce
1/4 cup cooking oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (you can use less sugar and it still tastes great)
2 cups chopped fresh or frozen fruit or berries (I do 1/2 chopped pears and 1/2 frozen blueberries)
a small handful ground flaxseed (optional)
vanilla yogurt (can use Greek to make it more healthy)


Mix oats, oat bran, steel cut oats, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Set aside. Mix wet ingredients with the sugars in another bowl, except fruit. Mix both together and pour into a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle lightly with flaxseed. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Pull out and stir in fruit. Bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve vanilla yogurt over the top or on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment