Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Lasagna Soup.....perfect for fall!

What's extra gooey and super comforting on a freezing fall evening after soccer practice? (I know I keep referencing soccer practice, but as you mom's know it pretty much rules my world...)Lasagna soup. That's what. A couple of years ago, while sitting in the waiting room of the kid's dentist office and flipping through a copy of "Family Fun" magazine, I spotted this picture....

I thought about ripping out the page and stealing it, as I knew I had to make this, but I was a little worried I would get ratted out by another waiting room mom, or maybe the cops would get called, or worse maybe my mom would get called...(my imagination can go a little crazy, especially in the waiting room of a dentist...the fear kind of takes over my body)...so I took a way more rational approach and asked the receptionist to copy it for me. I made it that very night, and have been making it ever since. My kids love it, my husband loves it, and it makes enough for two dinners. Serve it up with some toasted Italian rustic bread with a little butter and garlic salt, and pack it in their thermos the next day! Seriously, make it already.

Lasagna Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage (bulk)
2 onions finely chopped ( I use one)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 Tbs tomato paste
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
6 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
8 oz fusilli pasta
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil
8 oz ricotta
1/2 c. grated Parmesan
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
2 c. shredded mozzarella

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and saute, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until the sausage is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess fat from pot. Add the onions and saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and saute for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and saute until paste turns rusty brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juice, the broth, and the bay leaves and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the pasta, then increase the heat to medium high and boil soup until the pasta is tender to the bite, following the time recommendations on the pasta package. Discard bay leaves, then stir in basil. if desired, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan, the 1/4 tsp salt and pinch of pepper. To serve, place a scoop of the ricotta mixture into each bowl, ladle the soup on, and sprinkle with mozzarella.

Traditionally, meat sauce is supposed to be served with red wine, but this fall wine was spectacular with it!









No comments:

Post a Comment